Apache Cordova or formally known as PhoneGap is one of the renowned cross-platform technology to build the mobile application that can run smoothly on multiple platforms like iOS, Android, windows to name a few.
Various app development frameworks have been introduced in the market, where PhoneGap framework is playing an important role. Over here, we will discuss the wonderful features of PhoneGap framework.
1. Easy to Learn
2. One Platform multiple solutions
As the field of mobile application development has been advancing since its inception, different platforms are emerging onto which we can build mobile apps.
The most obvious advantage of choosing PhoneGap app development over traditional app development platform is the ability to create a single app which will work on all mobile platforms out there.
3. Consistency across platforms
Before PhoneGap application business owners faced the problems on non-uniformity across multiple platforms means the app developed for one platform will look and feel differently on another platform.
This happens due to the difference in the user interface. But, with the introduction of PhoneGap, this problem of non-uniformity disappeared, as the application is only built once and deployed across all platforms.
4. Supports smartphone tapping
One of the smartest things about PhoneGap is its ability to tap into a smartphone’s hardware such as camera, accelerometer, geo-location etc.
These native app’s properties are incorporated in PhoneGap also. This makes business owners life easier who wish to use PhoneGap without compromising on user experience (UX).
5. Strong Backend
PhoneGap offers highly strong backend system which helps in high-speed development, which directly reduces the high-speed development efforts. With that, PhoneGap also inherits a beginner’s guide for first-time developers which speeds up the process further.
6. Open Source
PhoneGap is a free software due to its open source license. This means the PhoneGap application development Community constantly introduce new codes and modules that can be picked up free of charge which will help developers even more.
Even with these advantages PhoneGap also has some limitations. Like: –
- It’s not completely free. Developers can use PhoneGap app development service to develop the app only once. Thereafter it charges some monthly fees.
- It does not support all the functionalities.
- PhoneGap lacks efficiency when working for native applications.
- This technology is supported by a huge community, but still, it lacks some professional supports and therefore many complex issues remain unsolved.
- The performance of this cross-platform framework is little dejected when it is compared to apps developed for the individual platform.
- PhoneGap does not have sufficient amount of UI widgets. Due to this, the development can take more than usual time.
- Apps created using PhoneGap often delivers poor performance. This technology is not recommended for gaming applications. Instead, native app technology is the better choice.
These are complete advantage and disadvantage of PhoneGap mobile app development. PhoneGap can be used to build a simple mobile app that does not use the native feature of the phone extensively.
If you want to build more complex apps and more usage of phone features is needed, then native app development is recommended.