What is Drupal
The name Drupal was derived from the Dutch word “Druppel” which directly translates into “water droplet”. Drupal became one of the most comprehensive open source Content Management System (CMS) framework which powers millions of websites and applications.
Also read:- Why People Love Drupal CMS?
It is one of the most powerful CMS available in present time. Drupal is fully expandable and flexible and one can have access to an active developer community.
Drupal consists thousands of modules that can boost your site’s functionality and unlike other CMS platforms, the option for scalability with Drupal ranges from a personal blog to enterprise level sites.
Drupal community is one of the largest community known in the world. With Drupal, you will always have access to all future upgrades and multiple features.
Drupal is easy to install
With these steps, you can download and install Drupal very easily:
Step: – 1
Download, Extract and Upload
1. Open Drupal’s website (drupal.org/) and download the latest version of Drupal that is Drupal 8.
2. When the download finishes you will get a file called Drupal.8.x.tar.gz, then extract that compressed file.
3. Then, log in to your server using SFTP client and navigate to web root to the directory and now install all your files inside your Drupal folder into web root folder on your web.
Step: – 2
Create a database
1. With your new given control panel create a new database and make a note of the database name.
2. Then create a user and add that user to the database and give access to full rights to the user on the database. Create a username and database.
Step: – 3
Make the site Default Directory Writable
1. For example, with *nix command line chmod a+w sites/default or with an FTP or file manager right click and set to 777.
2. Drupal will reset this when it completes the installation (chmod a-w sites/defaultor 555).
Step: – 4
Run the installer
1. Browse to your new Drupal website. This will directly take you to the installer.
2. Start with:” Select an installation profile”. Save and continue.
3. Then, choose “standard”. Save and continue.
4. Choose default language English or learn how to install Drupal in other languages. Save and Continue.
5. Now, choose the type of the database you created (e.g. MySQL, or SQLite). Enter the name of the database you created, username and password. Save and Continue.
6. On the site information page, you can set the site name and email from which the site will send out an email. Also set the username, email, and password for the first administrative account. Save and continue.
7. Finally, you will be automatically logged into your new site with the administrator account and can begin to configure your new site.
But, Drupal is not a perfect CMS framework. Like any other CMS Drupal also has its own Flaws and Strength. Let’s have a look at them:
Also Read:- Drupal – The CMS That Grew Overnight
Advantages of Drupal
Types of Content
Drupal allows you to create and manage a variety of content including polls, videos, blogs, text, statistics, and podcasts etc.
Scripts consist of abilities of design elements editing. Available themes and templates give a good start and predefined page function configuration makes It easy to develop simple and more complicated websites.
Loads of Functionalities
It incorporates various functionalities like poll management, graphics modification tools, user management and advanced menu management etc. It makes possible to build advanced and simple websites.
Advanced User Management
It allows to build a new user account and begin their permission rights. It divides user into two groups and then gives an allowance to manage the parts of the websites.
There are many plugins available on websites since it’s an open source platform so use this and create your own plugins.
Page content management
It permits you to classify the content via a path, URL address, making your own list. This makes structure easy management, search and reuses the contents.
Disadvantages of Drupal
Installation and modification
The script is not user-friendly and needs to have updated knowledge to install and modify. WordPress, Joomla, and even Quick CMS are easy to use even they don’t have functionalities like Drupal has.
While providing efficiency and scalability, Drupal is far behind than other scripts like WordPress or Quick.CMS with the size of the website, the script will generate a big server load. This happens due to the large variety possibilities provided by Drupal.
Drupal is an advanced CMS system which offers plenty of functions, that is not even present in other scripts. If you have deep knowledge about advanced CMS then with the help of Drupal you can create a complex website in no time.
Drupal can be a good choice for those sites who require rapid development. Drupal is effective for high profile sites and is a safe option for future web development.